Jordan Macleod is a Special Olympics Alberta-Calgary Athlete with Down Syndrome. She competes in swimming and bowling and wanted to share with you her favourite meal, Taco Salad! Jordan says there are no exact measurements, and you can play with the amount of each of the ingredients to suit your own taste.
- Multigrain Tortilla Chips
- Marble or Cheddar Cheese
- Cooked Seasoned Ground Beef
- Red and Yellow Peppers (optional)
- Sour Cream
First, you must cook the ground beef in a pan on a stovetop.
- Place 1/2 kg of ground beef into a frying pan and cook until well done
- Season the beef with Italian seasoning while it is cooking
- Add chopped onions, and if desired, minced garlic to the beef as it cooks
- Drain off excess oil from the beef
- Add two tablespoons of water to moisten the beef
- Add clubhouse Taco Seasoning and heat until spices are fused into the meat (3-4 minutes)
- Set aside and let cool
You can make more beef than you need and simply freeze it so it is ready to go the next time you want a taco salad.
- Take a large flat bottomed salad bowl and break enough tortilla chips into small bite-sized pieces to cover the bottom of the bowl
- Cover tortilla chips with a thick layer of spinach
- Add 5 tablespoons of ground beef mixture on top of the spinach
- Add some chopped up peppers on top of the beef
- add 2 tablespoons of sour cream and some cheese
- Add one tablespoon of salsa
Serve as is. To eat, mix all ingredients and enjoy!